Thursday, September 27, 2007

Learning (only days after first learning) how much I need to learn...


Just when I felt sufficiently martyr-like after creating my first post, I came upon this guy: Randy Pausch, a 46-year-old professor of Computer Science at Carnegie Melon University who gives the "Lecture of a Lifetime"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQtwEKlUutA&feature=related

He isn't just writing about his desire to make the world a better place before he dies, he's actually DOING it...has been all his life, in fact, and will continue to do so right up till the end, which could be just six months away if his doctors are right. You won't pick up a bit of self-pity in his talk, though. It's all about making the most of what time we have on earth - leaving things a bit better than what we found them when we arrived. Simply amazing.

I plan to watch the whole thing again with the hope that even a smidgen of his hope, vision, optimism, and energy rub off on me. One thing, among MANY, that he said which really resonated with me: "the brick walls are there to show us how badly we want something." I've been my biggest brick wall.

1 comment:

Liz Kraft said...

Your the best, Betsy. Thanks for the wake up call. I should have watched this months ago, but our internet just got upgraded here on the farm.

Love,
Elise