Saturday, January 12, 2008

A minor change in plan....

Between the holidays and seeing clients, time has flown. I've been learning a lot, mainly: "the more I learn, the more I learn how much I don't know." So, I've decided to go back to school.

I just sent my application to Nova Southeastern University's Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences for their PhD program in Conflict Analysis and Resolution. I've realized that I'm great at helping people learn more about themselves, and at even teaching them a bit about effective communication, but I stink at helping them overcome conflict.

I feel the need to learn why conflict happens in the first place - especially among people in families or close work units. You would think that with all the things they have in common, family members or work associates would just get along. But even in my own home I have to remind my kids from time-to-time: "how do you expect the Israelis and Palestinians to make peace when guys can't even get along in your own home?!" (see cheek-pinching-war at right)



I still plan to coach people in-between classes & papers, and suspect that one or two might even turn up as a case study in my dissertation (anonymously, of course :)

No comments: